Thursday, March 27, 2008

How My Home Business Benefited Me when I could not Work my Business

I have had my home business since January 2005. My first two years I spent following blindly what I was told to do. This was not profitable for me or my business and only put money in the pockets of those above me.

I managed to start using my common sense in late 2006, early 2007 and rebuild the foundation of my business based on facts and not hype and have enjoyed a profitable home based business since January 2007.

Clearly a business that is in profit is something to enjoy, but the major benefit was realized late last year when I suffered a catastrophic health event that put me in the local ICU.

You may be wondering how that could possibly be a benefit for my business and the truth is that on the surface it would seem to be a horrible event for me personally as well as for my business.

The fact is that because I took the time early in 2007 to rebuild my business foundation and retrain those in my downline, my business ran without me and continued to make money while I was in the hospital.

The key factors that were changed in early 2007 were my dependence on my upline and sponsor for information on how to run my home business. I also changed my focus from the heavy ad campaigns I was running to building a website that was user friendly as well as SEO friendly.

I also provided my distributor base with usable tools that were understandable and easy to use with the added benefit of being free. Training was implemented and directed towards what my team members wanted and not what had been dictated to me in my first two years.

Because I was in the hospital for a while I asked one of my distributors to maintain my team forum for me and she was able to do so with no issues primarily because of the effort that was put into the forum and the amount of information that was provided to the team on the forum.

My own realization that my home business was built on old school marketing techniques as well as far too much hype enabled me to honestly reassess my business and start the process of determining what was important to me and what my own goals were. The most important goal was to start earning money and get the business into profit.

I tossed out the hype, buzz words and old school techniques and had my home business in profit in less than 30 days and have maintained a profitable business ever since. Because I was able to see the flaws of what I was doing prior to January 2007, I have benefited from a profitable business even while I was confined without the ability to work in an ICU.

Would these methods work for you in your home business? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on you and what your goals are. Use your own common sense and decide what you need to gain from your business. Once you have done that it’s easy to set your goals and start moving forward.

I will also note that I stopped all paid advertising for my primary business and have relied on the knowledge I gained from about my industry and solid SEO for my websites since January 2007. My business continues to grow and earn more profits each month which gives me the freedom to explore other money making opportunities that I can work from home.

No comments: