Sunday, March 9, 2008

Copyright Violations Suck

Shortly after writing on this blog about my friends copyright being violated, I got a Google alert. When I check it out sure enough my own copyright had been violated. The lack of ethics astounds me.

I wrote an article about a recent "catastrophic health event" that occurred in my life and my own ability to accept what had happened to me.

Unlike my friend Lori's experience where her article was republished without her resource information, my article was hacked up and now makes no sense.

Example,the first line of my article reads:
In late 2007, I suffered a catastrophic health event that changed my life in ways that I never could have imagined.

On this blog the first line reads:
In late 2007, I suffered a catastrophic upbeat event that changed my chronicle in ways that I never could hit imagined.

It gets worse but I'll spare you the details. Clearly it's wrong to republish anything in violation of a copyright. And the way it was done to my article makes me look like I suffered much more brain damage than I actually did.

I immediately contacted the blog owner and requested that he either remove the article or re post it in original form. 5 days later I've not heard from the blog owner nor has the article been removed or corrected.

So what do you do in this situation? Here's what I've done and intend to do.

I emailed him directly, no response.
I filed a complaint with his ISP, again no response.
I posted a comment to the blog. The comment is waiting to be moderated. I'm sure the blog owner will approve the comment...not!
Because the blog site uses Google AdWords so I will be contacting them. I believe that violating a copyright will cause Google to remove his AdWords account as well as any earnings from those ads.
Last step, contact my attorney.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had their copyright violated and how they handled it.

No comments: